January 18, 2011

Ten states in ten days

Hello readers!!

So sorry for the gap between postings, but I have been traveling!! As I am on my winter break, my family and I decided to head down south for a week or so, and it was SUCH an amazing trip!

We left Illinois, traveled through Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama on day one. Then we went on through Georgia to Tallahassee to visit JJ, my dear younger-older sister. We toured the FSU campus, ate yummy pizza, enjoyed the gorgeous weather, and watched JJ perform (she's an organist!). After departing Tallahassee, we kept heading south, eventually perching in St. Augustine, where I got my first (got that? First!) view of the ocean. Of course, my dad and I had to dip our toes in the water!




It was unbelievably cold, but also unbelievably gorgeous!! The storms north of us created some crashing waves, and the whole beach was made of shells... perfect for a novice beachcomber like myself.

Next, due to massive amounts of snow and ice across most of the south, we re-routed our trip home and headed on to Biloxi, MS. Being the nerd that I am, I chose this part of the trip so that I could visit Beauvoir, the final home of Jefferson Davis. The house was very majestic, and had been restored to its pre-Katrina glory.



From Mississippi, we turned north and headed up to Memphis! I absolutely adore Elvis and so I was thrilled to get the chance to go through Graceland. I took about 600 pictures and just loved walking where The King had stepped. We also tooled down Beale St before leaving-- we couldn't pass it up!



Now, we're finally back home in Illinois. I have to say, I didn't miss the cold weather or the snow one whit! But, I am happy to be back with my family and friends. And I'll NEVER forget this amazing vacation!!

No comments:

Post a Comment