August 2, 2010

Look What I Can Do!


Operationbeautiful has deemed this week "change the way you see, not the way you look" week, and in honor of that fantastic holiday, I am going to do a body-beauty post.

This past summer, I have been really striving to love my body. It is truly not any easy thing to do. Sometimes I feel like I am fighting my body or that it has a mind of its own. On those days when my jeans don't fit right, my skin breaks out, and my joints refuse to let me walk even 100 feet, I often wish I could trade this body in for something else, something better. Ever have that feeling?

Fortunately, through some very supportive friends and family and fantastic advice from very wise people, I have come up with some ways to beat the body blues. One of these tactics I like to call my "look what I can do list." The idea is fairly simple. Just make a list of all the things your body can do. It may be tough to get started but once you get going, you'll find that you likely don't have enough paper to write it all down! Here is an excerpt from my list:

My body lets me---
breathe, sing, dance, run a 5k, eat yummy food, hug my niece, wear fun clothes, read books, take walks, smile, laugh, hula hoop, drive, plant flowers, jump on trampolines, swim, roll down hills, live on my own, make pbjs

I already feel more confident just writing all of that! The important thing here is to really focus on the positives. Yes, my body has many flaws. But also yes, my body does some pretty great things! What cool things does your body do?

4 comments:

  1. I love the idea of the "look what I can do!" list. It's such a simple concept, but could be so powerful! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Sometimes I realize how lucky I am just to be able to walk and run, and experience all of my senses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true! If we just stop and think about what an amazing GIFT our bodies are maybe we can appreciate everything they do for us and allow us to do when we treat it right.

    ReplyDelete