August 4, 2010

The Cup is Half...?

I was recently hanging out on a philosophy website, looking for inspiration when I came across this article about pessimism vs. optimism. Being a perpetual optimist who often finds herself friends with stalwart pessimists, I found this topic really interesting. The question: Is it more rational to be optimistic or pessimistic?

I think the first idea that really needs to be explored is whether one can choose to be optimistic or pessimistic. I have had a sunny outlook for as long as I can remember. Thinking over some of my most negative-minded friends, I feel that their attitude comes naturally to them. However, I feel that over time, one could mindfully change from one to the other. To me, optimism (or pessimism for that matter) is a practiced habit. I think we can agree that if you work hard, you can put yourself into a good mood or into a bad one. If you do this for long enough periods of time, it becomes more natural. For instance, if on a bad day you put on your favorite pair of jeans, make some plans with your friends, and rock out to a great song, then you are likely to end up in a good mood. After several weeks of this behavior, changing your mood will become instinctual rather than a mental effort. I think that as this continues, you can actually make yourself into a more positive and optimistic person. Or, contrariwise, you can become more pessimistic.

Ok, so we have established that one probably can change from an optimist to a pessimist or vice versa. But that begs the question, which one is better? I think we've all heard arguments for both sides. Pessimism is "better" because if you expect the worst you will never be disappointed. Optimism is "better" because if you set yourself up for success with a positive attitude, then you are more likely to be successful (self-fulfilling prophecies and all that).

In an interesting solution to the problem, we could all end up pessimists. Bear with me here. If offered the choice to change viewpoints, I feel that the pessimist would want to remain pessimistic. In his view, changing to optimism could only have bad results and as such, would be a foolish venture. Given the same choice, I think the optimist would be likely to change to pessimism, feeling that the switch could only reap good benefits. Consequently, the entire world would become pessimistic.

Again, however, this is all silly, early-morning postulating. If I was given the choice to become a pessimist (which, as described before, I already have that option) I think I would remain an optimist. To me, life is a lot more fun when you can enter every activity sure that it won't just turn out ok, it will be great!

Your turn!
1) Are you an optimist or pessimist? Or a little bit of both? Or the ever-elusive realist?
2) Which attitude seems "better" to you and why?
3) Would you switch from being an optimist to a pessimist? Or vice-versa?

No comments:

Post a Comment