December 2, 2010

Punk Kitsch

So, as my faithful readers, I wanted you to be the first to hear about this new trend I've found (or at least named), punk kitsch! Taking your great-aunt's crafts and hobbies, and putting a modern trend on them.


First off, knit bombing. For those of you who haven't heard of it, knit bombing is the new, environmentally-friendly graffiti. The "bombers" knit covers for unusual items and place them spy-style in the middle of the night-- forget kleenex boxes, think tanks.

or buses

or trees

Also known as yarnbombing or guerilla knitting (my favorite!) the bombers' goal isn't so much social commentary as making the sterile, cold cityscapes a touch more homey- how cool is that??

Although my friend Amanda has been warning me for years, I apparently missed the day that ukelele's came back in style. I remember being given my great- grandfather's uke one Christmas as a cheaper alternative to the guitar I'd been asking for, but I assumed they had died out around the time of the harpsichord. However, I was wrong and they are back in full swing and cuter than ever!

This apple uke ^ is my favorite! If you go here, they also have a snail, a pear, a fish, and a cupcake!


Finally, the whole idea of punk kitsch came from my friend Missa and I's experience with rebellious meditation. We both attended a meditation seminar last night and after leaving, realized that we had both kept silent during the debriefing portion because neither of us had followed directions and had been little zen rebels instead.

According to the Rebel Buddha,
There’s something of a rebellious streak in all of us. Usually it’s dormant, but sometimes it’s provoked into expression. If nurtured and guided with wisdom and compassion, it can be a positive force that frees us from fear and ignorance. If it manifests neurotically, however, full of resentment, anger, and self-interest, then it can turn into a destructive force that harms oneself as much as it does others. When confronted with a threat to our freedom or independence and that rebellious streak surfaces, we can choose how to react and channel that energy. It can become part of a contemplative process that leads to insight. Sometimes that insight comes quickly, but it can also take years.

So, take a moment today, and let out your rebellious side. Paint your nails a crazy color, dye your hair, try a new radio station, break your routine. Get out there and shake things up! Your sanity depends on it!!

1 comment:

  1. absolutely, without a doubt, the GREATEST blog i have ever read! i'm about 90% sure we are the physical and metaphysical embodiment of the punk kitsch movement. we defy the limits of this world and the spiritual. go us!

    Lovelove,
    MissaMelissa

    ReplyDelete